Oct 6, 2010

Doug Bucci: An Inspirational Man



Lecture 10/5
You should feel uncomfortable...
If you do feel comfortable then something is wrong.

If this isn't the definition of the last 2 years of my life then I don't know what is... maybe when it rains it pours. Sometimes you need someone to come in to speak to a group of over-worked, underfed, stressed out art students to keep them from exploding. I think - and perhaps this was a particularly bad tuesday - but I think that these words were very important to hear. We've chosen to pursue something that takes an enormous amount of self-motivation to succeed in.
I have undoubtedly learned the most during times when I am super uncomfortable. When I am so far out of my comfort zone that I am forced to teach myself how to do what I need to do or deal with the situation I am in. I think this might be the tactic that my parents used in raising me and I, at age almost 21 am beginning to understand this was an extremely effective way to get the job done. If it weren't for this mentality then I wouldn't know how to change a tire on the side of a highway in the rain, live with a sociopath, change a watch battery, create a social marketing and brand identity campaign by myself, be a photojournalist... ect (not trying to toot the 'ol horn). The point is, I've seem to have found myself in extremely uncomfortable situations that have taught me some serious life lessons in my day to day life, yet more importantly in my career.
Doug Bucci, thank you for reiterating and allowing me to hear that I'm in this extremely uncomfortable phase in my life and that it will end, however, realistically, it also won't be any harder on the other side. Although this doesn't sound inspirational, it's reassuring that my hard work right now will pay off. So thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment