Sep 20, 2010

Photoshop does not the designer make











Is anyone who has access and a reasonable understanding of Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator and ect, able to call themselves an artist or a designer? If these applications make digital production so universal and accessible, are we actively altering the role of a designer? I taught myself how to use Photoshop at a very young age. Through trial and error and free time (I don’t even know what that is anymore!) I provided myself with the tools to develop myself as a designer. However, being proficient in Photoshop does not make me a designer.

I believe this was the message this weeks lecture speaker was trying to express to a population of students like myself who have grown up playing around with and learning through experience the technologies that have and will continue to change our roles as artists and designers in the future. However, I believe it is a very important distinction that needs to be made and reinforced not only to ourselves but to the people who view our work with little understanding of the work that is put into developing our mental abilities to think like artists.

If you were to take my computer – and therefore my Adobe design sweet – away from me, could I still do the job I was hired to do?

The answer is and always will be YES!

This is because I think like a designer. I always have and I always will. My understanding of form, color, font, visual balance, and composition distinguish me from, say, an accountant. You can give that same accountant lessons on how to use Photoshop, but it would be equivalent to giving him a paintbrush and easel and asking him to paint a masterpiece. He cannot because that is not the way he developed his brain.

So while I believe that is truly amazing that I am able to pack up the entirety of my studio into my backpack and work from anywhere that I can find the internet, I still value the fact that it is my brain producing the ideas and my hand translating them digitally.

Photo creds:
The Laptop Pillow,
Brand: Pepsi Kick
Agency: BBDO Mexico
Executive Creative Director: Hector Fernandez
Creative Director: Antonio Alvarez/Ariel Soto
Art Director: EDGAR RIOS
Copywriter: Irene Preciado


No comments:

Post a Comment